Animal Care League is looking to add some amazing people to our team! Our staff plays a crucial role in ensuring that we can have the greatest impact on pets and the people who love them. Please note that due to the number of inquiries we receive, applicants who do not possess the minimum qualifications/requirements may not be responded to-so please read each job opportunity description carefully. Cover letters and up to date resumes which reflect your relevant experience are highly recommended.
If you are interested in getting involved/helping animals but may not currently find a fit in the way of employment, volunteering is a great way to get started and gain some experience!
Adoption Associate/Adoption Counselor-Full & Part-Time Positions Available!
Animal Care League is looking for outgoing, positive and enthusiastic additions to our adoption team. The adoption team works together to match people and pets, and setting them up for success and a lifetime commitment. This team acts as ambassadors for the organization, advocates for the cats, dogs and other pets in our program, and works to ensure that our visitors have a wonderful experience.
The ideal candidate would be able to effectively multi-task in a busy and hectic environment, have a sincere passion for people as well as animals, and be willing to work to help pair animals and people with minimal barriers and lots of education to set both animals and people up for success!
Responsibilities include: Managing incoming adoption applications and conducting initial screenings, utilizing technology such as Zoom and Facetime as a tool to complete appointments/animal introductions, managing adoption traffic during open hours, responding to adopter inquiries, conducting adoption appointments/screenings/counseling sessions, attending offsite adoption events, assisting with promoting animals in the adoption program, offering support to the foster program as needed, assisting with office duties, receiving and processing incoming donations, and other office support duties as needed.
Please note this position works directly with the public supporting an important part of our mission-the human/animal bond! Candidates considering applying should be able to do the following:
- Work in a fast paced environment with a very diverse clientele
- Be comfortable adjusting communication styles to suit different demographics
- Be outgoing and have extraordinary conversational skills
- Have a strong foundation of animal handling and husbandry experience and be able to share that knowledge with others
- Maintain a positive attitude and work well as a team
- Be comfortable working with animals who may be stressed or who have experienced trauma
- Exceptional customer service and communication skills
- Foundational knowledge of animal behavior, medical care and responsibilities of pet ownership
- Comfortable handling animals of all breeds, sizes and temperaments.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in a customer service focused role
- Minimum 1 year of animal handling experience
- Strong multi-tasking skills and the ability to remain calm under pressure
- Strong computer skills
- High School Diploma/GED or equivalent work experience
Part & full-time positions are available. Pay rate is dependent on experience but typically ranges from $14-$16/HR. This position requires some evening & weekend availability. A handling assessment/working interview is required as part of the interview process for this role. Candidates without the minimum requirements may not be considered.
For consideration, please send cover letter and resume to Yazmin Alvarado at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you want to make a difference in the life of a shelter animal? ACL is seeking enthusiastic, hardworking and compassionate individuals to join our animal care team. The animal care team members act as accommodating hosts for cats, dogs, rabbits and other animals during their stay with us! Animal Caregivers ensure that animal enclosures and areas are clean, organized and set up for maximum comfort while also ensuring that all animals are being fed, medicated, and receiving walks/enrichment regularly. Animal Caregivers also keep in close communication with upper level shelter staff on each of our animals' changes in behavior or wellness and provide important feedback to help animals find their way to adoption!
This is a fast paced position with responsibilities that include daily cleaning and disinfecting of kennels and cages, sweeping, mopping, laundry, dish washing, feeding of animals, and administering medications. Candidates must enjoy cleaning as well as possess a strong work ethic, good attention to detail, and the ability to multi-task. Good time management and organization skills a must! Since our animals require love and care 365 days per year, this position requires early morning/late night/weekend and holiday availability.
- High School Diploma or equivalent work experience
- Previous animal handling experience required
- CVT/Vet Tech experience a huge plus!
Physical Requirements & Work Environment:
- Ability to lift and transport items weighing up to 65 pounds.
- Ability to handle animals effectively and humanely.
- Have a high level of manual dexterity, the ability to bend and squat, and the ability to stand and sit for significant periods of time.
- Exposure to disinfectant solutions and zoonotic diseases.
- Subject to animal bites and scratches.
- Consistently exposed to animals and animal allergens under conditions with limited alternatives available.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the organization. May require evening, holiday and weekend work hours.
- Must be able to safely and compassionately handle and work with all cats, dogs, rabbits and other domestic animals including those with medical or behavioral challenges.
- Possesses a positive attitude and the ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Must possess good critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Flexible and independent; able to multitask while also being highly detail-oriented.
This position pays $13.35-$15/HR depending on experience. We may have full & part-time positions available! Please specify which you are interested in at the time of application. This position requires a hands on working interview as part of the application process.
For consideration, please send resume and cover letter to Yazmin Alvarado at: email@example.com
Shelter Veterinarian/Medical Director
Animal Care League is searching for a highly motivated, experienced veterinarian to provide medical care and HVHQSN services to our shelter animals and public clients (duties split between surgery and shelter medicine/pet wellness services). This position would serve as the primary staff veterinarian as well as work directly with the Executive Director on planning and initiatives to help grow the impact of ACL’s low cost spay/neuter clinic. The ideal candidate for this role would possess a dynamic skill set, confidence, and be a positive and flexible team player with a passion for shelter medicine and an interest in establishing protocols, team building, and community programming.
This is a full-time position with some flex scheduling, PTO benefits, cell phone reimbursement allowance, continued education and more! This position is great for a veterinarian who enjoys both medicine and surgery!
The shelter veterinarian would oversee and maintain the health of our shelter population (which consists of cats, dogs, rabbits and occasional other exotics) and offer support to operations staff in maintaining herd health. Candidates would be comfortable with in-heat spays, pregnant spays, large dog surgeries, have the ability to perform procedures such as leg amputation, enucleation, cherry eye sx, as well as other lifesaving procedures. Since Animal Care League houses and adopts out exotics such as rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters and birds, experience with exotics is preferred, or candidates must have a willingness to train/learn.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing medical care and medical oversight of the shelter population
- Working with key staff to ensure the overall health and wellbeing of the animals in our care
- Providing HVHQSN to our shelter animals prior to adoption as well as to our low cost clinic clients
- Handling animal medical emergencies, assisting staff with proper handling of medical emergencies
- Communicating with key staff on medical plans and follow up for shelter animals
- Communicating with key managers on housing and containment of contagious diseases
- Conducting surgery and other life saving medical procedures, performing occasional euthanasia
- Providing medical care and services via our community pet wellness days, vaccine clinics and public spay days
- Work with part-time veterinary staff to ensure consistency in medical care
- Develop and manage inventory system for surgical supplies; help keep medical expenses within budgetary guidelines by developing/maintaining effective and efficient medical processes
- Maintain and manage proper drug logs and records, oversight of pharmacy inventory
- Working through solutions and providing input on protocols, facility improvement, and overall medical operations
- Working directly with the Executive Director to expand clinic operations and map out clinic related programming
- Assist with team building of the clinic staff and volunteers
- Minimum 4 years of experience, preferably with at least 2 years of shelter medicine experience
- Ability to perform 20-30 spay/neuter surgeries using HVHQSN techniques
- Strong understanding of shelter medicine best practices
- Fear Free Certification, or willingness to receive certification within 6 months of employment
- Exotics experience a huge plus, must have willingness to learn/receive training
- Ability to work compassionately with clients and staff/volunteers in various emotional states
- Must be comfortable working independently in a fast-paced and sometimes stressful environment
- Must possess extraordinary communication and problem solving skills as well as possess the ability to be flexible/pivot with changing situations
- Previous experience with oversight of clinic staff a plus
For consideration, please send resume and cover letter to Kira Robson at: firstname.lastname@example.org